Thoughts Unleashed.

Sunday, July 25, 2004

The Joy of Drumming

                The first time I ever heard the sound of the drums was when i was a Standard 2 pupil. i could remember it so clearly. It was a typical sunday. My family attended church as usual. We were walking to the sanctuary from the car park. As we inched our way closer, from a distance i could hear a faint, booming sound. i looked around, puzzled and curious. As we came nearer the the hall, the sound became stronger and stronger. i held my father's hand, as we walked into God's house, the sound of the drums had become so strong that every beat of it went straight to my heart. i could feel it, not just hearing it. That day was the first time our church had drums. I was too short to really get a glimpse of it, so i tugged at my dad's shirt, and he gave me a lift. And there it was. The sight of it.The Drum. As my eyes grew bigger and bigger, so did my ears and my interest. It was the most beautiful thing i've ever seen. The grandiest thing i've ever saw. It was love at first sight. I've fallen in love at the age of 8.

                  Here i am now, serving in my local church here. The joys of drumming. The excitement and the adrenaline rushes in my body everytime i groove on the drums is something which words cannot comprehend. As it is the loudest among other instruments in the band, it is no wonder that drums give control to the music. It gives the groove, the mood. It takes music to higher levels, and it's influence is like a fiddler fiddling with your emotions. Music is quite empty without drums. These are the characterisics which have made me identify with the Drums. I have never grown bored with it, and never have i complained having to practice anything which has to do with Drums. Most importantly, it was a God-given talent to me which i am ever grateful to Him for. I first took up informal drum lessons from a church friend, i was only Standard 5. It was only for a few months, and later on i learned it formally in a music school from Remove until Form 3. Durin those times i had to cycle under the scorching and merciless, hot Kedah sun to get to my music school for a 45-minute class. Mind you, those of you who know, Kedah's sun is unlike any other sun. Give you a hint, it's hot enough to grow padi. And Yet, I never minded one bit. I was the fastest learner there, learning an average of 2 new drum beats every week.

                  Aah, the Joys of Drumming. But there is an important and essential fact which i would like to add. The Joys of Drumming comes with the Joy of the Lord. Drumming in normal, secular music is just like playing any song. But when i serve God with Drums, my heart bursts with unexplainable Joy and Happiness, and every beat and stroke which i hit are praises and thanksgiving unto Him. Having played in secular functions as well, I have found that the times which i really savor and embraced drumming is when i'm worshipping God with it. Even though i'm just an amateur drummer and not something to shout about, yet i will give unto Him with my best, cos He deserves it. I've had my fair share of experiences on the drums anyway. Till date, I've played in my church, my church choir ( which is a totally different style), rallies, youth concerts, prom nights and now ACTS. maybe i'm missing Band competitions. HAHa. I can almost hear someone snickering and see some winking.

                    My dream is always to play in Christian concerts for God. Sadly, i'm quite tied to a lot of commitments and minstries. Because of responsibilities, I've been abstained many times of chances to improve and to go forward. My heart aches and hurts especially when i see someone else taking up drum roles in the church which i have worked so hard to achieve. There are many times responsibilites have caused me to rethink my commitment to serve in church. Yet deep down in my heart i cannot let go of this Joy that God has placed in my heart. It has been and still is very much a part of my life. And yet, my ministry and responsibility as a student is slowly taking a toll on my Drums. It's as if slowly, the pieces of the drumset are being remove gradually. First the hi-hat, next the toms, etc. I remember a flick in the Spidey 2 movie, when his aunt said " Sometimes heros need to let go of certain things in our live. That's what makes us Heroes."

                      As sometimes when there's Joy, there is Sorrow as well. Many friends have adviced me to quit. Would there be a day when I have to let go of it? Would it come to day, where i have to give up my sticks? As Joy comes with Drumming, so does Sorrow too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home