Thoughts Unleashed.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Life...and Death

Have you ever seen anyone grasping for breathe in their dying minutes? Till now, holidays have been such a blast. I've seen nothing but smiles , heard nothing but laughter. There is life everywhere. Meeting up with friends, going places....I could've said I was in cloud nine, till yesterday when I was brought back to mother earth.

Yesterday I witnessed the death of the son of one of our church members. He'd been suffering from an illness for some time now. Mom and dad rushed to the hospital upon hearing he was in critical condition. I tagged along out of boredom.

I'll never forget his face. He had become blind and could hardly move his limbs. They said he's unconcious, but it clear he was grasping for breathe. As if every breathe he inhales drains out every ounce of strength he has left. There was a feeling of sorrow and dread everywhere. The few church members who were around had worried and solemn faces. Mom was close to him. She read Psalms 23 to him as tears just ran down her eyes. An hour after we arrived, he passed away and went to be with the Lord. He was only 28.

Sometimes in the midst of these times, where everything seems fine, where most of the people I know are enjoying themselves, we have to be reminded that there are suffering and sorrow happening elsewhere. It also reminded me that life is fragile. Yesterday night one of our church elder said that we are spiritual beings in an earth pilmigrage. ' Turn our eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of the earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory'. It's heartbreaking when you see the mother crying and sobbing ' He's not gone..He's just gone overseas...He's not gonnne..'

Jesus did not promise a bed of roses, but he promised that He will never leave us. I'm so glad that I have Him to be with me. Even though I might get a bed of torns instead of roses, Jesus will reach out His hand, hold mine and guide me through it. It's all about Jesus. It's so easy to forget Him during happy times, and come crying back to Him when we face tough times. I've fallen to this situation every so often. Traveling so much in these few days have given me time to evaluate and to reflect upon my life. To those who are reading this, I encourage everyone to take a breather, sit down and reflect upon our lives, to re-evaluate our purpose of living, our priorities. Don't let the activities of holidays take over our mindset. It's good to also take a personal retreat with God, to find back our first love. :)

The Lord giveth, the Lord also taketh. Let's not take our lives for granted. Think I'm being like a preacher? Try looking at the body of dead young man at the prime of his life not think of all these. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home