Thoughts Unleashed.

Friday, February 11, 2005

My Chinese New Year

Rite!! Twas was my trip to Penang. It was a meaningful trip thanks to the camera I brought along. Here we go.

We stopped by our new church building before departing for the island. Our church, Wesley Methodist Alor Setar, has been sharing our premise with the Chinese and Tamil sections for the past....erm......very long years. :D It's a bit frustrating sometimes cos every Sunday evening, we NEED to end our service by 8pm for the Chinese section to continue on their service. And also due to other reasons, therefore we had been raising funds to move into our new building. We've already covered 90% of the cost for this shop lot, and hopefully by the end of this year we will be able to shift in. Quite exciting about it actually, for my home church.


The new corner lot we've got


The Sanctuary


Upstairs

We've got plenty of rooms and space upstairs. Probably to continue the community service our church has been giving, which is giving free tuition, and to host the youth meetings.


Later, we went to Penang of course. Went lepakking, and then we went to visit our grand-aunts and grand-uncles. It's somewhere in Jelutong. Very tricky to sniff out the place.Check this stuff out.


Accroding to mom, this was the house where my grandmother grew up, which makes it my great-grandmother's house. Pretty ancient huh?


Behind that house is the another home where my grands stay together. We had to walk through a narrow path in order to reach it.


Found it!!


You wouldn't belive the size of this rooster they rear. It's GIGANTIC. Look properly.


The houses they live in still uses leaves as roofs and is mostly wooden.


Right. This is the 'ancient' kitchen where my great-grandma used to do her cooking. The stove and other stuff is really antic. Another relative of mine who stays there still uses this stuff.


Guess what it is? It's a meatsafe!


Portraits of my ancestors.


It's an old, old lantern


More meatsafes


Check this out. There's a well right in the middle of the kitchen


Mom, grand 5th, 6th and 8th aunt, and grand 6th uncle

My grands total 12,13, I can't really remember. Most of them have passed on already. These are the few surviving left. They've lead a very hard life, and are still living a hard life. Most of them are already in their 70s. But yet they still sell Laksa, Rojak and Ice Kacang for a living.


These are few of their stuff they used to sell

Though times were always hard on them, when we visited them, all I could see was a spirit of laughter, joy and friendliness in them. They joked around, and were really generous in giving despite their condition. I really admire my grand aunts and uncles. They still stick together cos they had problems marrying someone else during the younger days.

I have many more pictures that were taken. These are only a few of them. I was born in Penang but brought up in alor setar. But through these experiences I really felt connected to Penang. Keke.

Lastly...



Tadaa!!! Don't know how I got them? Read the testimony below then. Ciao.


1 Comments:

  • Cool boots & a ball~!
    Jehovah Jireh reigns... i've been blessed by your testimony bro.

    By Blogger nlye, at 4:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home