Thoughts Unleashed.

Monday, February 05, 2007

Drummers Only

Nah. I shan't blog about the experiences last weekend. Words won't be able to describe it. heh. I treasure every moment of it. But, what words and pics can describe, are the drumkits that passed through my hands!! wohoo!!

Sorry about non musicians out there for this posting. Heh. Here we go.

We used DW collector's series drumset. till now, the closest I've ever encountered a real DW drumset was a few months ago, at JS music. I wasn't even allowed to tap it with my fingers.
It costs around RM 30k. heh. add in a couple of thousand ringgit and you can get yourself a brand new Iswara aeroback. :p Last weeekend, I had the priviledge to bang it with everything I had! ....MUHAHAHAHA...!!! * evil laugh*

Next up we have the DW 9000 series double pedals. My pearl eliminators costs just slightly more than RM 1k. The TAMA iron cobras VJ's using costs around RM 1.4K. This baby here costs more than RM2k. You do the math.

HHX 14" stage hats. Nice crispy sound, and gives the "oomph" you look for when needed for driving the song. Good control of sound, unlike our church's hats. hehe. It's so good, none of the drummers changed into their own hi hats during the show.



The HHX 20" Evolution Crash. This is the first time I'm using such a huge crash cymbal. And you know what? It rocks big time! For such a big stage, you really need a huge cymbal. 15" and 16" are small fries. Use it at a small setting or church, you're probably gonna get banned from playing drums there. You can't hear a thing. Lurve the projection. Lurve the resonance. Nobody wanted to change that too. :P


This 16" HHX stage crash. Fast decay. Used it to 'ride' for fast songs. The intro of "Majesty" comes in with this baby carrying the song. Chris of Sonicflood almost "killed" this little guy. heh. A lil small for a big stage, but it's still ok.




The 20" HHX stage ride. I've never had so much fun with the ride cymbal. Prolly cos I could bang on it whenever I come to a chorus. I've never played like that for a ride cymbal. Saw Chris playing it as though a crash, and I thought to myself, what the heck, if you can't beat them, join them. :P


The Sabian HHX China. So far, I don't really like China's. Not because of their sound, but cos I don't really know how to use it. So, even for this, I just used it occasionally. Not really my favorite.

Ok, so far above are the 'default' settings provided for the concert. Sonicflood actually used all of the above, except the snare drum, which was Agnel's Pearl Master's Series. I won't upload the pics cos I can't seem to find the correct model.

The most work I had to do was actually our own local artists. hehe. Chris actually only came with his Pro-Mark drumsticks. And his MAC laptop.

Let's see what Judson from Unabashed brought into the house.

This is the Pearl Dennis Chamber's Signature Snare series. Except that Judson changed it to a black coating. It sounds good on stage, but I guess it's projection isn't really made for rock songs, more to jazz and funk. For me, it didn't really bring up the strength of the song, but what the heck, seeing Judson slamming on it just makes you feel good.


People, say hello to one of the most expensive cymbals on the market. The Zildjian K Dark Crash. And he had 2!! !8" and 19". The perfect cymbals for the big stage. It sounded so good, I was just salivating throughout the whole time. One cymbal costs almost RM 1k. 2 cymbals, and I don't have to eat for a month.

Let's see Agnel's new snare.

I thiiiink this is the one. PDP Pacific's wood hoop snare. That's why all he had to do was just lay it down nicely with sticks, and you'll get the nice " keh-taank!" sound. Nice warm sound, but at the moment it doesn't looses it's loud and definite sound. Sweeeeeet. RM 1k.

Finally, he used the Alpha Paiste Crystal Crash 16" This model isn't exactly the one. Just lazy to find the correct model here. heheh. It sounds ok, but then again, 16". Big stage. Said already. heh.

Actually he has one more Zildjian 20" ride cymbal. But I can't really make out the model. ah. Lazy d. It's time to go back home.

There you go people. I lurve every moment of it. Tweaking and setting up all this expensive gear.

Oh yea, probably lost my hearing by 25% too.

Ja.

1 Comments:

  • hahaha...cool...

    now i've learned a thing or two about the kit the different bands were using. great info...

    get some ear plugs man...it's REAL important...or else by the time we're 40 years old...deaf already..

    no kidding...and it's not funny either...read about it myself...

    see u this weekend man..

    By Blogger jasonroag, at 1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home