Thoughts Unleashed.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Walking among giants

Last sunday practice. Made my way to Akakarya. I think it was only last year that I saw a pamphlet about this famous jam/recording studio opened by Sheila Majid and her husband. That time, was really drooling at how professional jam studios can be, unlike the cheapo ones we can afford, where there's a stinking smell, the drums sounds like drums used for lion dances before, rusty guitars and amps that are never heard of before, and also sounded like never heard of before. haha. I meant that in a bad way.

Anyway, I met the musicians. Really felt incompetent and nervous. I was so unprepared. Didn't have the time on Saturday to prepare being at church and weddings. Sighs. One of em' is DUMC guitarist. Maybe some of you would know him.

Then, in stepped.......

Mozad.




This is him. The famous Mozad. The last time I saw him was at Infest, shredding and slapping away his bass along with David G. Tried my best to keep my cool. heh. To date, the most keng chao bassist I've ever played with is David. Now...
But, he's really a nice guy. After a few words, with his cheeky grins and laid back attitude, we had no problem gelling together.

anyway, the experience of playing with giants is undescribable.




The way pros conduct their jam sessions is a whole different experience itself.
and the music...oh, the music...the quality...
Half the time I was enjoying the music rather than concentrating on playing..haha..

We'll be doing 3 sets a night. 1 set consists of 7-8 songs. Honestly, I haven't done so many songs one shot before my whole life. most of em Juwita's songs, Liang's songs and covers. Most consists of slow songs, R & B and some funk. all of those which aren't my familiar territory. heh.

Anyway, lemme take you around Akakarya.


this is the waiting/lobby area. you can see a huge wall portrait of Sheila herself. The place is clean, with good air ventilation, with a TV to keep you company if you're waiting your turn.


Here is the corridor leading to further jam studios. There you go, another portrait of Sheila. There have posters by Mia, too.

The dance studio. Not really big, but funky enough tho.


Anyway, I've saved the best for last. I've been to quite a few jam studios before, but nothing beats their main studio here. RM 60 an hour. I'll explain why.My jaw dropped when I stepped into it.

First of all, it's huge. Like, really spacy and big. And I like their flooring a lot. Feels quite at home. They place carpets below instruments to protect from scratches. Superb lighting. The ambience was wonderful.
The equipment and the instruments..oh..


For starters, I don't know a lot about amps. But I remember the Marshall piece on top is the JCM 2000. Other 2 is Fender don't-know-what. Yea, yea I know I gotta learn more about this stuff. For keys, they have the almighty Yamaha S90. And one more which I didn't notice what brand too. Drums, they use Yamaha Maple custom series, complete with Zildjian A customs.
*salivate* They even have equipment for in-ear-monitors.

For every musician, they own their own amps facing them. Yes, even the lead singer, there's a chair for you, and an amp for you all by yourself. And lying next to the wall, there's the place for the backups. 3 chairs in parallel, with the music stands, and again, an amp.

The best ever studio for me to date. Probably local artists use this place 1,2 months for practice, then they head off for tours.

For me, I wouldn't count myself worthy of using this equipment. If you wanna use the place, just make sure you don't go in there and play Simple Plan or Metallica. Haha. worst, don't go in there, hold you guitar and ask your bandmates " Eh, wat song we wanna play?"

Anyways, I count myself so blessed. The timing for everything, the steps God put me into is perfect for everything. Been exposed to so many things. Been outside my normal circle of friends. Traveling with strangers-become-friends. Been doing things which I normally don't do.
Talking to big time investors, playing with big time musicians, running around in the rain early in the morning in malacca. Heh.

It's been wonderful time walking among giants.

I'll be back with updates from Singapore.

Pray that I won't screw up. :P

Ja.

1 Comments:

  • I'm sure you'll do great! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home