Thoughts Unleashed.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Wrestle

After talking to a friend, I find myself back to square one. An issue which I sometimes day dream or fantasize about. It's a question which occasionally bobs into my mind, and I somehow settle it, only to find it coming back at me 60 miles an hour. Yea. You can call it a wrestle.

Everyone's looking for a side income. Or at least, have ever considered finding extra means to get some cash. Direct sales, MLM, insurance, yada yada..it's all on the A list. Part timers, I'm talking about.

Talking about it is one thing. But to really do it is another thing. Cos really, after all the time spent in the office, not everyone is really keen to spend their remaining 'relaxation' time ploughing their hands into another pile of work. Some may start on fire, give em' a few months time, and you'll find a punctured tyre. Cos it robs you of the thing that keeps you sane in this working world: Rest.Friends. Family. And some entertainment. The stress-busters.

But what if you could earn the extra dough doing what you like best?

Yes. The thing I wrestle is, to fill my pockets using my drumsticks.

An old friend I know earns a 4-digit income just by teaching the electric guitar part time. Yea,yea..He's my Ampify-mate, cool and guitar master ol' friend la. You know him. Was talking to him over yam cha the other day. Sure it is quite hectic for him, but he said he doesn't really feel the stress, cos it's his passion anyway. Even after coming home from a day's work of guitar teaching and engineering, he still feels that he needs to take up his guitar, and just jazz the night away.

So I thought, how nice it will be, if I could just perform somewhere. Maybe 3,4 nights a week. They don't pay so low nowadays you know. If I could pocket a few hundred bucks a month playing what I love, why not? Morever, I could further improve my skills without having to find a jamming studio. And maybe I could even find some more contacts for future projects. Who knows. Though I'm not like super keng, but I think I could juuusst scrape by the minimal requirements to play in these scenes with some brushing up.

Truth is, I have been offered this opportunity before. And the reason I say 'no' to it was...I wanted to serve God with the gift He gave me. I have been. And I still will. I really believe it is what God gave me, regardless of what anyone would say. I was born with a good sense of rhythm, and good arm-leg coordination. I remember my first lessons. I was 11 years old. The drums looked so freakin' big that time. It was taught by a person from another church. You see, my church didn't even have the drums during that time. We had to go to FGC to learn it. So it was down to me, and 3 more older friends I had. I was the youngest.
I aced that class. Creamed the others. I played the 8-beat all by myself at the first lesson when everyone was just learning how to hold the sticks. HAha. Ok now I'm showing off. sorry.

Anyways. The reason why I always said 'no', was cos whenever I played, and it wasn't for Him, and it doesn't matter how big or how small the event was, I always leave the scene feeling empty. Feeling hollow. And when people come up to me saying'Good show', I smile and say 'thanks' but in my heart I was asking myself ' What are you doing?' So. settled. Play for God. Period.

But everytime I bury the issue, thinking it's finished, my itchy eyes tend to wander again. And yea..this blog comes to posting lor. It's a wrestle. Do you know how the outside people look at us? Me and my friend didn't really discuss the issue, but it was written all over his face the other day.
' Get out of your church activities. It's taking too much of your time.You're getting rusty, your music is getting nowhere.'

I still got it under control. I know what I'm doing. Where I'm heading. Why I'm doing what I'm doing. It's just that sometimes this issue pops up once in a while like lil' pimple. And you can't help but wrestle with it all over again.

Hey, all this aside. It kinda surprised me, but I actually miss my life in KL. Just can't wait to get my life back on track. It was a good rest. Had plenty of time to think. As usual. :P

I'm coming back tomorrow. I hope. Fingers crossed. Seeing doc for the last time tmr.If it's a green light then I'll be 'home' for dinner. :)

Please excuse the sudden high amount of postings for the past few days. It's raining here. Diana Krall's singing the blues from my speakers. What can ya expect?

Ja.

4 Comments:

  • heys how u doing? hope you're healing well..

    Was just thinking bout d 'wrestle' u were toking bout..i smtimes struggle with that too, u knw like, i dun seem to be making much impact as a christian eventho i come in contact with so many ppl etc,..

    But dun u think that no matter where we work/play we should and we could still make a difference?Coz doesnt mean that u play in church oni u can glorify God wat, rite? and whn u play outside, and ppl say 'good show' u can say 'Praise the Lord!!' heh..u get me?

    Ppl will STILL see that ur not just a talented drummer, but a drummer who's passionate playing for JC, wheter he's in OR out of church.God says we are in the world but we are NOT of the world mah.

    There are diff ways to tell the world about Jesus, and how can we do tat if we don't even step out of out 'own lil bubble', knw wat i mean?...nyways this is just smthing i've been thinking about for a while now..

    Prayin that you'll find peace in the midst of your 'wrestle' :)

    p/s:hey check out www.engrish.com, just for larfs,(in case ur super bored at home) heh

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:31 AM  

  • hey...thanks for your input..yea..stepping out of our bubble..:)

    By Blogger Affiliate Marketer , at 9:15 AM  

  • Hey,been reading for ur blogs time to time, interesting posts :)

    Lately,I have also been thinking about playing part-time for cafe's n the likes to earn extra $ + the experience n all...even nearly went thru an audition,haha..backed out last minute though as most of their songs were in chinese :)

    Give a go though...i think it's a good idea, u know, doing sumthing u r passionate about, while getting sum xtra $ in the process :)

    haha, neway heard bout ur surgery n all, wishing u a speedy recovery man...Kinda envy the 'holidays' u r getting..haha. God Bless

    -Tze Seong-

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:36 PM  

  • yo! nice to hear from you man~ long time no see...I read ur blog too..

    yea I might actually do it one day..maybe out of itchiness of something...plus you, that's 2 people already asking me to take it up.

    By Blogger Affiliate Marketer , at 4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home