Thoughts Unleashed.

Friday, December 01, 2006

All roads lead to KL

Yup. Not rome. KL.
Been driving 4 months now. All I can say is, I'm fascinated at how the road system works. All if not most roads DO lead to KL. I'm talking about the major highways. Federal, NKVE, NPE, Kerinchi, Penchala..even Kesas. Drive along, and you'll end up in KL, question is which part of KL.

My job requires me to 'go places'. Till now, most of the times all I'm given is an address, and if lucky, a location map. For a kampung kid who used to ride bikes in a padi field, wandering around this concrete jungle doesn't really resemble my home. I was freaked out the first time my boss asked me to go 'solo'. When I was driving during uni years, all I knew was the way to go to acts church. That was it. Federal highway felt like a faraway never never land. LDP was THE highway.

And now, I was given a hand drawn map, and asked to go to some unknown territory. So how? asked directions from my boss lor. Here's a sample of how it went:

Boss: " Ok, you know how to go to jalan duta?
Me: *shakes head*
Boss: " Erm, ok. You know the museum?"
Me: *shakes head*
Boss: " ERmmmmm...ritez. Ok. Midvalley you know right?"
Me: "Yea I know."
Boss: "Ok. From midvalley......"
Me: " But i dunno how to get there."
Boss: *smacks forehead*

Thank God for patient bosses. And bosses who is the master of all the roads around. That's right. Stupid right? I didn't know how to get to midvalley.

WAhahahah....


By the grace of God, till now, I've always managed to find the places though. First few times was really scary, but as I go and experiment more, the confidence builds up and you get better at recognising addresses and landmarks. The best experience was, I was supposed to locate a client at Jalan Pahang. Prior to that, my boss gave me a lengthy instruction on how to get there. Even drew a map for me. Problem was, he mentioned a jalan which wasn't on the road sign. So, when I reached the junction, imagine the chi kek-ness at deciding which way to go. Hehe. Still, it's a miracle how I managed to sniff out the place. Taking junctions by instinct, calculation and sometimes pure guessing.

I used to dread going KL. It's a crazy maze of roads, traffic lights and cars. But now I find it challenging. Recognising road names is a must to travel in KL. At least the famous wants. Jalan Duta, Jalan Pahang, Jalan Tun Ismail, Jalan Loke Yew, Jalan Pudu, Jalan Kuching, Jalan Bukit Bintang, just to name a few. Erm, actually these are the only roads I know by now. Hehe. So many more. Roundabouts too. The Pahang and Duta roundabouts are famous. Ppl usually give instructions from there onwards. The other day, I got so fed up, after seeing a customer, I jz spent the whole morning driving around aimlessly in KL, trying to memorize road names and landmarks. Oh, and burning up petrol too. hehe. Finished 500km in 4 days.

Going round selangor-kl is interesting I guess. Ppl could spent hours jz chatting about going places, and which road to take. So much more to learn. Welcome any feedback though.

Gtg. Soree for abrupt end.

Ja.

6 Comments:

  • Driving around KL can be a freaking nightmare man.. I'll testify to that.
    :P

    By Blogger Deric, at 10:23 PM  

  • u forgot to mention the 3 things needed to drive around KL

    1. Money in forms of coins and Touch & Go

    2. Petrol to burn in your tank

    3. Time, to waste and get stuck in jams, plus getting lost

    By Blogger weeliem, at 9:24 AM  

  • yeah yea and that too..and also don bodoh bodoh go during rush hour oso...

    By Blogger Affiliate Marketer , at 4:34 PM  

  • Lol. Do learn alternative roads depending on where you're going ;) Roads like ss2, 222, Old Klang Road and NPE all has their time and place, depending on the time and traffic situations ;)

    Don't get caught around Sultan Ismail, MRR2 or Tun Razak when it's raining heavily. Might flood.

    God Bless!

    By Blogger Leo Koo, at 12:10 AM  

  • yea man...eh..wat jalan 222? u sure or not? never heard b4 wan..old klang road-sri petaling area is another wonder..it can connect to anywhere you wan from there too..just discovered another interesting part of kl..using kesas you can enter kl thru the setapak-ampang area...cool eh..eh is jalan mahamaru connected to jalan tun razak?

    By Blogger Affiliate Marketer , at 9:35 AM  

  • jalan 222 is from federal to pj. frp, federal. take that road, can reach ss2. short cut

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home